Thursday, March 25, 2010

Maths doesn't teach everything!

Reading the newspaper this morning, my eyes suddenly got stuck to this headline, "Maths genius says no to $ 1million". Well! Honestly my first thought was what a fool? But immediately the money part started to loose out on consequence. And for that the credit goes to my awful maths during my own childhood. In fact, I felt pity for this mathematician who actually solved a problem posed by a French guy, needless to say another mathematician almost a century ago!

Pity isn't the only feeling that comes to my mind when I think of this Russian genius (Yes, although my current feeling seem to have overtaken his very identity, his name is Girgory Perelman), I also think that our friend here has abundance of patience and will power. I mean a century old problem??? I wish our politicians had this sort of will power and patience. And why just them? Wshen I come to think of my own life and my own set of problems, the best means I adopt is to run. Unless someone has tied me down to it and I am forced to think otherwise.
Here is a man who likes to solve problems posed by others without charging a penny! Anyhow, on reading further I also got to know that Mr Perelman was chosen for the Fields Medal, an award in the field of Maths equivalent to an Oscar, which he readily refuse
d.

He is generally known to be a recluse and is presently jobless. He stays with his mother and sister in a small flat in St Petersbug. (Seriously all he needs is a hard knock on his head with a kalchul (spatula for those who want to behave like firangs))

And the terror of this man's life is not over yet, yes, I know like me you too must be thinking what more needs to be mentioned? Well the piece also managed to say that our bright friend here owns a spartan one bedroom flat which is full of cockroaches!

Confession time, I think I am glad I was no mathematics genius. Yes, while during my schooldays I wished I was one, today I feel quite alright turning out to be the other way.

My only piece of advice to Mr Perelman would be get that $ 1million dollar. Buy a powerful rodent spray, go on a civil war with these cockroaches and then what ever money is left donate it for world peace and order. But for now begin with your own house!

No comments:

Post a Comment