Thursday, March 25, 2010

Shaadi Ka tamashaa. Jo jaye woh pachtaye, jo na jaye, woh bhi pachtaye!

I know I did promise to rave, rant and ridicule this great Indian wedding I attended last evening. After all, when you see something out of the box, be it an idea or bride and groom themselves it must be mentioned. If not appreciated.

Anyhow the events of the evening unfolded with its share of usual drama but also with a certain sense of mystery. Now I am no Agatha Christie nor do I have the capability to create a Hercule Poirot. But my gray cells did get to work when I entered the venue of the marriage, The New Patna Club.

While everything was set in the usual way, the huge field of the club was utilized in a rather different (I prefer Funny!) way. There stood a small round dais in the middle of the field. At the other end was the make shift stage with its gaudy looking sofa. Obviously this is where the
dulha and dulhan were supposed to sit. My head still scratched with the dais. Good for me that I didn't have to wait for too long. As soon as the CM of Bihar, Mr Nitish Kumar entered, I figured, it was for him. And so I rested in peace.

We greeted the CM and I tried very hard not to go and pat his back. No matter what you say he has made this place livable again. In the midst of all this commotion I also happened to spot an old school friend. So many things happening at once and that completely got my mind on to everything and nothing!

But just as I thought that the evening had nothing more to offer, I could see the bride and the groom on that dais. And to my utter horror as soon as they stepped on it, the dais started moving in slow circular motion. So here was the couple being displayed! All they had to do now was to bring their hands to their sides with palms facing outwards, and they would have looked like characters out of the mythological drama,
Jai Santoshi Ma! But that was not it, my washing machine moment was yet to come!

Yes, the slow and circular motion reminded me of the gentle churns inside the washing machine. As if that wasn't enough here came two men with a sort of plastic drain pipes the one generally found attached to a washing machine in order to drain out the dirty water, and before I could gasp for air, a vacuum cleaner sort of noise filled the filed. And wohooo, coming out of the pipe were small pieces of marigold with full force! The already circling couple were now being showered with flowers. A scene that I know would stay with me for a long time to come.

Everyone around had a sly smile on their face. And after this wedding (somehow circus is sounding better) was over, a well deserved clap did come the couple's way. It was hard to tell who was genuinely amused and who shocked!

While I have nothing against any kind of pomp and show especially when it comes to weddings because it's based on a very personal note. My only trouble is understanding the logic behind the shock value.
It must stem from the belief, the more you shock the more it stays in public memory. Or else there is no reason why two people on their special day would be paraded from one corner of the field to the other and then made to play ringa ringa roses? Only it makes a rather boring game with just two people in the circle!

PS (Although I did wait for one of them to fall down. :))

4 comments:

  1. DUDE!! my colleagues' fear of me being a lunatic is confirmed.. here i am, sitting in office, imagining the whole scene and giggling away to glory.. thankfully it's a friday so the madness is given :D :D

    brilliant man!! ratnakar and i still talk about our maadu aunty-PC sarkar phase.. god they made us look and feel funny.. but this one was a prize winner.. lol! the revolving dias WHOOOAAA!! who the hell was getting married? sab bata di ho, yes bhi bata do :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha. Tam this was some engineer's daughter's wedding. Trust me I am quite lucky not to know them personally. And I met Annie Ahmad in that wedding. God Tam we so have to attend a wedding like that. Together. it will be so much fun! hahahahah... Have a great weekend love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats why it is rightly said - THE BIG FAT INDIAN WEDDING. You actually got the perfect glimpse of one. Well written/. The words have been used smartly and i could imagine every moment!!! kudos, not to you, but to the guys holding the Washing Machine Pipes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was one helluva piece with vivid details! Keep posting more of these divya!

    ReplyDelete