Monday, March 29, 2010

Tongue rolls, A new workout?

I know most of you familiar with my excruciatingly painful Face book updates must think of me as finally having lost the battle between my senses and the obsession with workout itself. But relax, I still am waging the war successfully.

The tongue rolls i happen to mention has absolutely nothing to do with the hip rolls that I religiously do as my warm up routine. Seriously!

I have often wondered about the nature of our 'very own' language! (And if you think I am referring to Hindi then you need to refresh your colonial mindset). Come on, with our satellite connections now boasting of Active English lessons in the comfort of your living room, do we really fool ourselves that it's Hindi that has an upper hand?
I shall leave that debate to you.

I am more fascinated with this automatic self up gradation that seem to be happening everywhere vis-a-vis the way we speak the language. It might have started from the tinsel town but today most of us seem to follow it.

After all what is the sense in blaming one and letting go of all the others? I shall explain my point in great detail.

Take for example Aishwarya Rai Bachachan. She might have started her career with an unusually giggly noise (that may be called laughter) along with it she also did manage to speak English in a perfectly fine Indian accent. But as soon as her career graph exceeded her own height, there was a sudden shift. And I am really not bothered about her attitude. Spare me the torture!

One might as well begin with the Cannes, where the International media literally ripped her apart for her dressing sense. To move on there were various other opportunities where she shared the International platform. Whether be it the Pink Panther or Oprah Winfrey's talk show.
Miss Rai now Mrs Bachchan seem to have completely forgotten her real dialect. In her latest Lo real add, where she purrs like a cat when she says, "Girrrrllsssssss you are worrrrrrrth it" sounds rather appalling and hideous.

But why just blame her? Look at Sonam Kapoor. One can definitely not pronounce 'Pearrrrlllll' (actually pearl) the way she does in an add she claims to have bagged from Mrs Bachchan kitty.

I wonder how these women sound so utterly fake especially in the Loreal adds? I mean isn't it a pity that despite the brand being a great pay label the end result of these advertisements are quite disasterous?

Another serious observation that I have arrived to is that the minute our Hindi industry women become probable suspects of playing the next Bond girl, the roll in their tongue is quite unmatchable. I mean wow! Over a Friday night these women suddenly come up with twisters that would put real tornadoes to shame!


Now to come down to common mortals like you and I. Here I have to say not many but a few do amuse me lot. Places I have worked and people I have met during my career as a journalist only goes on to prove that while many might openly criticize the reel world for its obvious shortcomings they would not stop themselves from adopting the same.

A commonly shared joke in one of my previous workplaces was that even if an international air plane would cross over the heads of a certain group in my office their accents would go for a toss! (hahah! good one.)

No offense to anyone. My humble request to many who think an accented English would give you preference over others is only this, that it makes you look and sound foolish. For people who have a genuine American, Brit, Australian, Scottish or any other accent, continue speaking without any hesitation. What's natural and comes from the heart sounds the best! Try it! I mean that.

PS (And as far as the rolls are concerned, limit them to your waist and hip. It will do wonders.)

4 comments:

  1. ROFL!! couldn't agree more on this one.. and it's surprising how MANY people have accents these days.. u put it just right - they sound horrendously foolish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Btw.. tell me.. am i the only one who thinks "i'm going out with my girls" sounds equally pretentious and foolish?

    ReplyDelete
  3. girls = female friends in this context..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahaha. Tam! You read my mind! I couldn't agree more with you when I see labels like that.

    ReplyDelete